Wednesday 29 July 2015

In The Heights | Crescent Theatre Birmingham

Photo Credit: Impulse Productions and Katie Olivia Astbury
I remember mentioning in a previous post that I was hoping to see Impulse Production's In The Heights, a show that I hadn't seen previously but I adore the soundtrack so I was really looking forward to finally seeing it on stage. Impulse is a Wolverhampton based theatre company yet I've never seen one of their shows before so I really didn't know what to expect but I'm pleased to say I was blown away by the whole show.


If you don't know anything about the show, it's pretty much a snapshot of life in the Dominican-American neighborhood of Washington Heights in New York, set to a soundtrack of Latin salsa music and rap- a unlikely pair that at one point had me dancing in my seat. The cast were all very strong, in particular Jake Sharp playing Usnavi, Brogan Scullion as Vanessa and Katie Olivia Astbury as Nina, along with all the other principals. The dancing too was really a spectacle- high energy and injected so much life into the ensemble numbers. I was left humming the songs all night afterwards which proves to me that they put on a very memorable production.

The show is heartwarming and brought many a tear to my eye whilst also being full of fun and joy. It really showed that all the cast are really enthusiastic about the show as they were so believable in the roles. Although tonight is the final night, there are a few tickets left so if you're able to I'd definitely recommend heading down to the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham as a guarantee you won't be disappointed by this lively show. If you want to know more about Impulse Productions head to their website.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Olivia Loves Theatre | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig